Depiction of 남대문

Namdaemun ("Great South Gate"), which is also called Sungnyemun ("Gate of Exalted Ceremonies"), is the main south gate of the city wall of Seoul. It was first built in the fourth year of King Taejo's reign (1398), and rebuilt during the 29th year of The Great King Sejong's reign (1447). It was also found out during the renovation work in 1961-1963 that there was also a rebuilding work in the tenth year of King Seongjong's reign (1479). This is the oldest wooden structure in Seoul. The base structure is made of granite blocks pierced by a single arch for gateway. The wooden superstructure is a two-storied pavilion, five compartments on the front and two compartments at the sides, with a hipped roof. It originally had a hip-and-gable roof shaped like the Chinese character of 八 but it was reworked into a hipped roof. It is a profusely-bracket-style building with intermediate sets. According to the record of "Jibong-yuseol", a book on the "practical science", Prince Yangnyeong wrote down "Sungnyemun" on the hanging board. This building is one of the worthy wooden architecture with accurate year of its construction.

PropertyValue
rdfs:comment
  • 국보 제1호
ho:createdBy
foaf:depiction
dc:description
  • Namdaemun ("Great South Gate"), which is also called Sungnyemun ("Gate of Exalted Ceremonies"), is the main south gate of the city wall of Seoul. It was first built in the fourth year of King Taejo's reign (1398), and rebuilt during the 29th year of The Great King Sejong's reign (1447). It was also found out during the renovation work in 1961-1963 that there was also a rebuilding work in the tenth year of King Seongjong's reign (1479). This is the oldest wooden structure in Seoul. The base structure is made of granite blocks pierced by a single arch for gateway. The wooden superstructure is a two-storied pavilion, five compartments on the front and two compartments at the sides, with a hipped roof. It originally had a hip-and-gable roof shaped like the Chinese character of 八 but it was reworked into a hipped roof. It is a profusely-bracket-style building with intermediate sets. According to the record of "Jibong-yuseol", a book on the "practical science", Prince Yangnyeong wrote down "Sungnyemun" on the hanging board. This building is one of the worthy wooden architecture with accurate year of its construction. (en)
  • 조선시대 서울도성을 둘러싸고 있던 성곽의 정문으로 원래 이름은 숭례문이며, 남쪽에 있다고 해서 남대문이라고도 불렀다. 현재 서울에 남아 있는 목조 건물 중 가장 오래된 것으로 태조 4년(1395)에 짓기 시작하여 태조 7년(1398)에 완성하였다. 이 건물은 세종 29년(1447)에 고쳐 지은 것인데 1961∼1963년 해체·수리 때 성종 10년(1479)에도 큰 공사가 있었다는 사실이 밝혀졌다. 이 문은 돌을 높이 쌓아 만든 석축 가운데에 무지개 모양의 홍예문을 두고, 그 위에 앞면 5칸·옆면 2칸 크기로 지은 누각형 2층 건물이다. 지붕은 앞면에서 볼 때 사다리꼴 형태를 하고 있는데, 이러한 지붕을 우진각지붕이라 한다. 지붕 처마를 받치기 위해 기둥 위부분에 장식하여 짠 구조가 기둥 위뿐만 아니라 기둥 사이에도 있는 다포 양식으로, 그 형태가 곡이 심하지 않고 짜임도 건실해 조선 전기의 특징을 잘 보여주고 있다. 『지봉유설』의 기록에는 ‘숭례문’이라고 쓴 현판을 양녕대군이 썼다고 한다. 지어진 연대를 정확히 알 수 있는 서울 성곽 중에서 제일 오래된 목조 건축물이다. ㅇ 숭례문 방화 화재(2008.2.10) - 2008년 숭례문 방화 사건(崇禮門放火事件)은 2008년 2월 10일 ~ 2월 11일 숭례문 건물이 방화로 타 무너진 사건이다. 화재는 2008년 2월 10일 오후 8시 40분 전후에 발생하여 다음날인 2008년 2월 11일 오전 0시 40분경 숭례문의 누각 2층 지붕이 붕괴하였고 이어 1층에도 불이 붙어 화재 5시간 만인 오전 1시 55분쯤 석축을 제외한 건물이 붕괴됨. 현재 복구공사 추진 중에 있으며 2012년 3월 8일 상량식을 마쳤고, 12월 공사완료 예정으로 있음.
ho:designatedBy
kdp:hasPeriod
ho:isManagedBy
ho:isOwnedBy
rdfs:label
  • Namdaemun (en)
  • 崇禮門
  • 남대문 (ko)
  • 서울 숭례문 (ko)
  • 숭례문 (ko)
kdp:locatedIn
kdp:relatedBook
owl:sameAs
dcterms:subject
rdf:type